Friday, February 24, 2012

Good news - I get to sew today!

Remember my last post where I was whining about not having time to sew?  Well the busy times continued this week.  Last weekend I was on call (Recovery room nurse) and I got called in 4 separate times.  I can't remember the last time that happened.  I can easily go an entire weekend with no calls.  However, it's a slow day at work today and I got the day off (except I'm on call for the morning, so there is still a potential to have to work today).  Not only that, but it gives me a long weekend.  Whee!!


So it's time to get some serious work done on that plaid blouse.  Here's the current status:
(click pictures for larger image)
It is a casual style with drop shoulders, which is why you don't see curved armscye. I got the band collar sewn a couple of days ago.

When I tried it on, I remembered that I may have made the neck opening larger and I'm not sure that was a good idea.  Time will tell.


Here is a close-up of the front ruffle:

I chose to do a serged edge (since I got a serger for Christmas!) instead of trying to fold and stitch the edge of the ruffle.  With all the seams in this fabric, folding over a narrow edge is not very easy.  I also used the serger to gather the ruffle before I attached it to the band.  I tried making the ruffle and attaching it in one step but found it was easier to create the ruffle first, then attach it to the band.  My next trick is to learn how to make sure things like this ruffle are the same width on each side as I attach it to the band.  It's something I'm sure most people won't notice, and I probably won't notice after I've worn it a few times.

Now that you know what my plans are, you my readers can hold me accountable to trying to get it finished today!


Thanks for stopping by, and keep on sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments, however brief. Please leave a note so I know you stopped by.