Saturday, February 11, 2012

So, if not sewing, what?

I haven't posted in almost 2 weeks!  I feel so bad that I've been so busy working that I haven't done much sewing and I haven't had time to blog about sewing.  One of my two co-workers retired and the other one had to have surgery.  The new nurse we hired is young in nurse-years, but sharp as a tack.  She has really stepped up to the plate.  Whew!  Working too much is better than the alternative, but I'm still working 5 days a week at the hospital instead of my usual 4 and on call every other weekend instead of every third weekend.  In addition I'm work 5 hours every Saturday at the sewing store.  AND ON TOP OF THAT, this weekend is the local Home Show and guess who's working both days of the weekend.  Yep, you got it.

The main thing I did today was to manage the 10-needle embroidery demonstration machine.  I had never worked with this machine before today, but I got a crash course.  It and I were on pretty good terms by the end of the day.  We showed how we can take a picture, digitize it and embroider it onto a piece of fabric (or whatever).


People were pretty awed watching it the machine work.  The "we" who know how to digitize the pictures right now is "me", and I've only done it once so far! Time to get better at this and then make a crib-sheet so others can do it also.  Take a close look at the photo below (click photos for larger version).  The original photo is on the left, the control screen is on the right.  In the center, there is one embroidered picture already done and another in process.



Current Sewing Project

On the topic of my current (neglected) sewing project, I have started on the plaid blouse with the ruffles.  Sure wish I had another yard of fabric, especially since this one is plaid AND I have decided to do the ruffles and button band on the bias.  (Note to self:  Buy more fabric from now on.)  I have decided that I am not going to turn under and hem the edge of the ruffles, but I am going to finish them with the serger.  Since this is a casual fabric and multi-colored, the serged edge does not stand out.  The fabric also has a lot of seams and overlaps, which make it harder to do a turned edge.  I'm also learning how to use my serger to make ruffles!  That is so much easier than making them the traditional way, with the double line of stitching, etc.  When I get the ruffles made, I'll post some pictures.

Time to go sleep so I can rev up for the Home Show again tomorrow!

Thanks for stopping by and keep on sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to get your comments, however brief. Please leave a note so I know you stopped by.