Besides, I need to get my "winter" sewing projects done before it's too warm to wear them. I am back to finishing off my stash of fleece. I had purchased green fleece and burgundy fleece to go with my inspiration fabric colors. I have created a pattern (using PMB5) for an armscye princess hooded sweatshirt.
The inside fabric raw edge of the front zipper and the hood zipper will be covered with a woven ribbon trim. The burgundy jacket will have a dark red/white checked ribbon and the green jacket will have (don't laugh) camo. I'm not normally a "camo" type, but I liked the colors better than anything else I found. I may also use the red/white trim on the outside of the burgundy jacket, just for something a little different from the green one.
This is not a good representation of the color, it really is burgundyFor the inside of the pockets (which are double layered), I was hoping to find polyester athletic jersey material, the stuff with the "holes" in it, in black. I didn't find any black athletic jersey at the two local stores, but I did find it in burgundy.
While I was standing in line waiting to get my fabric cut, I stumbled across rip-stop nylon in, you guessed it, camo. So that will be the pocket material for the green jacket.
I got the idea for the pockets and the trim from a fleece vest I have that was purchased in northern Minne-snow-ta from a company called Wintergreen. They make "northern wear" and have outfitted some of the polar expeditions!
The other challenge in this pattern is the pocket zippers. On the blue vest above, the zipper opens through the princess seam and into the space between the two layers of pocket material. Here are my practice versions of that (the light blue fabric is the outside, the white fabric is the inside). Still some improvement needed but I'm getting the idea worked out.
Thanks for stopping by, and keep on sewing!