Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Retrospective

Well, I said I was done with fleece jackets, and I am, for now.  However, this is one I made earlier that I didn't get a picture of until recently.  I made this jacket as a surprise for my mother for Christmas.  I've never made anything more than a hat for her before, so picking out fabric and making a jacket was an experiment.  The good news is, it was a successful experiment.  She wears it constantly!  I'm going to have to make more fleece jackets for her!  Her only requests were larger pockets and making the jacket longer.
(Click for larger image)
As you can see, I used contrasting fabric for the facings and pockets.  Because I wasn't sure about arm length, I also lined the lower part of the sleeves with the darker fabric so they could be rolled up if desired, but her arms are longer than mine and she always wears them full length. The fasteners are large, western style post snaps.  I tried buttons, but I had trouble sewing buttonholes on the fleece.  My machine just couldn't manage the thick fabric and they probably needed more interfacing or stabilizer.


For PMB users, this is a an Oversized Jacket pattern. 
Settings are:
Jewel neckline
Finished length 24"
Sleeve underarm length: 18.5
Collar style: convertible


And if you noticed that I haven't been sewing, it's true.  We bought new furniture for our "study" (aka home office) and everything that had been in the study ended up in the adjoining "sewing studio".  It's really easy to empty out drawers but takes a long time to sort through the stuff and decide what to throw or keep and where to put it!


Gratuitous pictures of new furniture (and Patrick the dog):
( They look a lot better if you click for larger images)


Thanks for stopping by, and keep on sewing.


Sue C.


Addendum:  By popular request, more pics of Patrick (and the answer to the obvious question is that I have been told he is half Chihuahua and half Shih-Tzu.  He has the ears and domed head shape of the Chihuahua and the mouth and body of a Shih-Tzu.)











3 comments:

  1. Nice jacket!
    But really stopped by to comment on your seriously cute dog... the ear situation is adorable!
    I hope we get another pooch one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale, just for you and the other dog lovers, I added some more pictures of Patrick. He's a rescue dog, we've had him for three years and he's 8 years old. And quite the character!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pound pups are bred for lovability.

    ReplyDelete

I love to get your comments, however brief. Please leave a note so I know you stopped by.