Sunday, July 5, 2015
Here’s the belated follow-up to the previous post…(click on pictures for larger images)
This is a case of having the fabric and *then* deciding what to make. I had several yards of this rose print fabric. It is polyester, very stretchy and has a very distinct nap, dare I say, like short dog hair. And yes, it was very inexpensive. Why else would I have bought it, given that I rarely dress up. I’ve since gotten better about not buying fabric just because it is pretty and inexpensive, unless I know I will have a good use for it.
This dress reminds me of 1800’s fashion. There is a red under skirt and the black dress has gathers creating a scalloped hem. I made a cute little purse out of the same fabric as the underskirt.
I used stretchy black/gold lace as the inset in the upper bodice. I was surprised how stable and easy the lace was to sew. Every well dressed woman needs a hat/hairpiece, so I had fun making this fascinator (a new vocabulary word for me). It is attached to an elastic headband.
I used the same lace for gloves and knee high stockings. The shoes were relatively inexpensive, from some online store. Not high quality materials, but they won’t get much wear, either.
In addition, I went all out and had a necklace and earrings made by RabbitwoodAndReason to match the dress. I think they worked out great!
I wore the dress to a production of the Lerner and Loewe musical “Camelot”. I was only out-costumed by the couple that showed up dressed as a knight and his lady. At least they dressed for the appropriate century. LOL.
Making this was fun, but it reminds me that I mostly want to spend my time on more useful pieces. My wardrobe is pretty minimal and needs some everyday pieces to fill it out.
Thanks for stopping by, and keep on sewing!